Monday 16 July 2012

My Story

I have decided to write a blog.

I don't know where this desire has come from.

I have always enjoyed writing. I've written (or at least started) short stories in the past and wrote for my local magazine before I joined the Army.
I kept journals during my tour of Afghanistan, the idea being that I'd write a book when I came home. My wife has been saying since I came back that I should do it.

My response was always: "But there was no massive event on our tour"

Right. Well, that's where I change the subject. As I'm wrong.

It was a hard tour. My Company of 120 men was given a task a battalion of 600 would have struggled with. We took 30% casualties and suffered six deaths.

Towards the end of the tour on the 1st of March 2010, I suffered a gunshot wound. Amongst other injuries, the bullet broke two vertebrae in my spine and paralysed my left leg.
Like most injuries suffered in Afghanistan, it would change my life and the lives of those around me.

I'm going to tell you the story of my time in the Army so far. Of my time in Afghanistan and the months I spent in hospital.

Of life since my injury, and the battle I fight daily against my own body, to return to the job I love.

I've been told blogging is like therapy. I didn't think I needed any.

Maybe I do.




7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to read your story unfold, you have sown the seeds of a painful but interesting blog, keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading the story of you and hope the challenge of writing it all proves cathartic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first blog Dan!!

    For the average civilian life in Afghanistan is an “unknown”, so many things you took for granted are of interest to us, including where you slept & how many of you had to sleep there; what did your showers look like; where did you eat. The list is endless. I’ve actually learnt a great deal from following Steve Blake on Twitter. British Army Photographer https://twitter.com/CombatPhot


    I hope those injured are now well on the road to recovery. My heart goes out to the families & friends of the 6 who were killed serving their country. They took the ultimate sacrifice & will always be remembered for their bravery.


    I’m so sorry you were injured in Afghanistan & even more so that you were left paralysed in one leg. I’ve been disabled for over 20 years with M.E., daily life is a constant struggle but my husband (now ex-RAF after 22 years) often tells me not to be upset at what I can’t do; instead be glad at what I do manage to achieve.

    I look forward to reading about your life in the Army very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are correct in thinking blogging is a form of therapy, writing fullstop is.

    When we need to lift a weight from our shoulders, it often helps to talk to someone or write it down in a journal, it unloads a burden of some sort.

    I'm sorry to hear you were injured, not nice at all but you are a survivor and the courage & strength you have shown to get where you are today, deserves an award!

    Can't wait to read the rest of your entries x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You follow in great footsteps, every generation of soldiers has it's writers.


    They ask me where I've been,
    And what I've done and seen.
    But what can I reply
    Who know it wasn't I,
    But someone just like me,
    Who went across the sea


    Wilfred Gibson

    xGGx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep going. I am interested and you have my attention. If you don't tell the story, it never happened my father said. You have a growing audience here. I hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dan,

    We have corresponded a bit on Twitter (I am MizLizW). You are a bright and amusing Twitterer and I am so glad you are writing this blog.

    To echo the previous comments, I hope that writing this blog will be cathartic and that it will help with your continued recovery. I also hope it will lead to you writing your book; I will certainly read it and I can't wait for the book tour. :) I think that it is vital for civilians to learn from those who have fought for us. I am so sorry that you were wounded, but I am thankful that you survived, and that you are back running, too! I am so impressed by your strength and courage. Thank you for your service.

    My heart goes out to the families and friends of your six colleagues who were killed. It is truly heartbreaking.

    The commenter "Ghostgirl" has inspired me to include a poem in remembrance of your friends. I hope it will bring a moment of comfort to you or to someone, somewhere.

    Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there, I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow
    I am the diamond glint on snow.
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain
    I am the gentle autumn rain.
    When you wake in the morning hush
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circling flight
    I am the soft stars that shine at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry
    I am not there, I did not die.

    -Attributed to Mary Frye, American, died in the 1940s

    Cheers.
    Liz from USA

    ReplyDelete